Monday, November 16, 2009

A New Adventure

After 5.5 weeks traveling across East Africa (Kenya, Tanzania, and Rwanda) and 3 months back in Southern Ontario, I've arrived, back in the UK!

It's good to be back.

A little weird, but still amazing. When I arrived in London, after maybe 2 hours of sleep on the plane, I took the train to King's Cross station from Gatwick and then a taxi to my friend's house near Turnpike Lane. Driving through the city, both in the train and in the taxi, I felt strangely at home and in a strange place. I was back, but in a completely different place in my life. I wasn't here for school, but for work. Most of my friends had gone back to their respective countries, but a new one had arrived. I didn't have a place to live.

I still don't. But, I've been in West Yorkshire for the past week, so I will find something when I go back to London. I'm located in Hebden Bridge, a self-described quirky town and the lesbian capital of the UK. It is awesome. I'm working for the White Ribbon Campaign, an organisation started by men to end male violence against women.

More to follow on my work so far, but for now, a teaser from an event we had on Saturday: "These Heels Are Made for Walking" -


No comments: