Monday, May 25, 2009

Africa

I'm getting really excited to go to Africa! One month tomorrow, I'll be on a plane flying to Nairobi. Cannot wait!

Right now, I'm waiting to begin exams. My first two are June 3 and 4, so I have LOTS of studying to do! But I'm getting really tired of waiting around, and studying. My last class with new information was March 19. We had a few review sessions in May, but really, it'll be almost 2.5 months between our last class and my first exam. It's just too long!! I'm getting burnt out! But, once it starts, it will be pretty quick - 4 exams in 2 weeks should fly by! And then, I have 9 days to move out of my flat, close my bank account, ship stuff home to Canada, and prep for my African adventure. I'm heading to Nairobi first - where I get to hand-feed giraffes and visit an elephant orphanage. Then, I join a 13-day safari through Kenya and Tanzania (which includes 4 days of relaxation in Zanzibar!).  I'm really excited to see the wildlife and the scenery, but am also well-aware of the human situation in these two countries. Recently, there was an article in the NY Times about maternal mortality in Tanzania. It is quite a sobering read.

After my time in Kenya and Tanzania, I fly off to Rwanda for three weeks to conduct research for my dissertation, which is on the rights of children conceived through rape during the 1994 genocide. I will be spending most of the time in Kigali, but will also venture off to a small village to conduct a case study. After some intense interviews and dissertation writing, I plan to visit the infamous Rwandan gorillas before beginning my 26-hour journey back to Toronto.

I've decided to come back to Toronto a bit early, (1) to save money on British accommodation, and (2) to spend time with my family and friends in case I end up working overseas in September. I do really want to get a job in Toronto, but am quite aware of the fact that this may not happen. So, I've applied to jobs and internships in Uganda, London, Washington, and Strasbourg so far. I will probably be applying to some in New York as well. Everyone keep your fingers crossed that I find something!! :-)

Well, better get back to studying. At least my African adventure is only one month away. And then, in about 2 months, I'll be back in my homeland, and able to visit all of YOU! Cannot wait!

1 comment:

Deb G. said...

*happy* I'm happy you're coming back early, happy you're having a good time, and happy you get so much good travelling in!

I'll be praying for your job prospects... I'm sure you'll get something good, though!